"Being a grandparent is a joy! You get the perks of bright eyes and giggles, along with the rush of pride to see your own child mature into a parent.
In 2001, I was "Grandma" for two absolutely darling children, a girl age 5 and a boy age 2. Then the unthinkable happened - my grandson became sick with what we thought was a minor episode of vomiting and diarrhea, but for Kevin, it became a life-threatening infection when the bacteria, E. coli O157:H7, entered his bloodstream. He developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) and within ten days of the diagnosis, he was dead.
In the immediate aftermath of Kevin's death, I felt totally overwhelmed. Besides the ugly memories of the sights, sounds, and smells of my grandson's twelve- day struggle with E. coli O157:H7, I had to deal with watching my own child and her spouse endure unspeakable anguish, while calming the fears of my young granddaughter. And then there were my four other children, plus their spouses, and my husband - for all of us, Kevin's agony and death was a sorrow beyond anything we had ever experienced..."