"My father, Paul, was a World War II veteran, double Purple Heart recipient, avid sports fan, and all-American hero. Tragically, it was a cantaloupe laced with the lethal bacteria listeria that ultimately killed him.
Always true to form, though, he did not go down without a fight. For nearly three months, my father suffered from brain trauma and the inability to move his legs. After the painful effects of the listeria took hold first of his body and then his brain, the infection finally defeated him.
My dad left behind five children, nine grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren — all who continue to mourn the loss..."