"It’s hard for me to imagine a time when I was carefree about what I ate. It all changed on Aug. 26, 2006, when my daughter Rylee suddenly became ill with what we thought was a common intestinal bug. In a matter of hours, stomach cramps turned into bloody diarrhea. Then Rylee’s kidneys began to fail, and fluid built up around her heart and filled her lungs. She became combative and experienced hallucinations, had temporary vision and hearing loss and developed diabetes. After several days and many tests, we realized Rylee had eaten contaminated spinach and was now one of the tens of millions of Americans affected by food-borne illness each year..."