Make Our Food Safe
05/19/2010

"University of Michigan graduate joins push for food safety legislation passage"

AnnArbor.com | Tina Reed

"Recent University of Michigan graduate Andrew Lekas ate a few times at an Ann Arbor restaurant last month when he became so ill he ended up at U-M hospital for treatment.

Little did the 22-year-old know, he said, the burritos he had consumed were tainted with a form of E. coli that health officials believed were spread from romaine lettuce originating at an Arizona farm, he said. "It was only a few weeks ago when I became aware of how outdated our food system is," he said.

That recent outbreak of E. coli that has sickened more than 23 people in four states, including nine confirmed in Washtenaw County, is prompting a call for tougher regulation of food distributors by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

On Wednesday afternoon, Lekas lent his support during a telephone briefing with reporters that also featured U.S. Rep. John Dingell, D-Dearborn..."

Full Article