"Cookie dough may be one of the joys of the holiday season, but it's dangerous, at least for people who nibble it raw.
That's the lesson from a new study of a 2009 outbreak of E. colibacteria, which sickened 77 people, most of them teenage girls and children. The outbreak was traced back to eating raw Nestlé Toll House cookie dough. It was the first time that packaged cookie dough had ever caused an outbreak.
Now for the next surprise: Food safety experts think the most likely culprit is flour. Their findings appear today in the journalClinical Infectious Diseases..."