Make Our Food Safe

A Message from a Mother

Kyle Allgood

My name is Robyn Allgood.

My son, Kyle, died from eating raw spinach contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 when he was only 2 years old. While I would rather tell you about his fun personality than dwell on the illness that took his life, the truth is that his story can help bring much needed improvements to our food safety system. Because of Kyle, my family has joined the effort to support S. 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act.

I recently taped a radio ad that will accompany a print ad to encourage key senators to pass this legislation. Taping the radio ad was not easy for me. I did it because I do not want other families to experience the heartache that we have. Last month, I was a part of a group of families who travelled to our nation's capital to participate in a Food Safety Action Day sponsored by the Make Our Food Safe Coalition.

Please know how grateful I am for all of your efforts to improve food safety. I know you have already sent messages to Congress but they need to hear from us again. Please continue working on this issue until S.510 is signed into law. Together we can prevent others from experiencing the horror of foodborne illness.

Thank You,

Robyn Allgood